This is an extract from Kelly's trade directory of 1910, which gives a brief description of Haydon Bridge.
Trade directories were first produced in the 18th century but became widespread in the 19th century. They generally give a short history of the parish, town or village followed by a list of the principal residents of the area. These would include persons of social status, for example, the local landowner and the vicar followed by a list of farmers and tradespeople. Directories continued to be published at regular intervals until the mid 20th century. Kelly's is probably the best-known series of directories. The business was begun in London by Francis Kelly who began printing provincial directories in the mid 19th century.