This is an extract from Parson & White's trade directory of 1828, which refers to the town and parish of Bedlington.
Trade directories were first produced in the 18th century but became popular in the 19th century. They usually include a short history of the parish, town or village followed by a list of important people who lived or worked in the area. These would include persons of social status, for example, the local landowner and the vicar, followed by a list of farmers and trades people. Directories continued to be published at regular intervals until the mid 20th century.