This is a section of John Speed's Map of Northumberland published in 1610 showing the area around Blyth. As with other early maps, John Speed used illustrations to represent features. For example, a village is illustrated by a drawing of a church.
The map is one of a series of fifty-four Maps of England & Wales published by John Speed between 1608 and 1610. The scale of the map is approximately one inch to four miles.
This item comes from the extensive collection of manuscripts belonging to The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne. The Society has deposited a vast proportion of this material with the Northumberland Archive Service.