Communities > Berwick > Photographs About  Contact

Berwick - Photographs

Berwick, Old Bridge (c. 1910)


Search The Site



Ordnance Maps


Printed Material

Census Information

Berwick, Old Bridge - Click for bigger imageOld Bridge, Berwick. Also known as Berwick Bridge, it dates from 1611. It is made of sandstone with 14 arches and spans the river Tweed. Until the 1800s it was the main crossing point of the river into Berwick. The town can be seen in the background. This photograph comes from a large collection belonging to the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne. The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne is the oldest provincial antiquarian society in England. Founded in 1813 with a total of 68 members, its membership is now spread across the globe while its journal, Archaeologia Aeliana, can be found in libraries throughout Europe, the USA and Australia. For nearly two centuries, through its meetings and its publications, the Society has encouraged a deeper understanding of the history and archaeology of north-eastern England. Though much of its activity has been focussed on Hadrian's Wall, both prehistoric and medieval periods are well represented in its work - and there is a strong interest in industrial archaeology.


Northumberland Archives Service holds over 120,000 photographic images relating to the history of the county of Northumberland. The quality of the photographs mounted on this website has been reduced. High quality photographic or digital copies of these, and of other photographs from our collections, are available by contacting the Archives Service.