This section of a page from the 1910 Land Valuation book identifies particular properties at Blyth. For example, entry 840 located on the corner of Beaconsfield Street and Carlton Street relates to the Blyth & Tyne Hotel. The occupier is identified as John Thompson and the owners as W.B. Reid & Co. The gross annual value is 240 [roughly 9,900 at today's values] and the rateable value is 200 [roughly 8,300 at today's value]. Blyth originally formed part of the parish of Horton and the Ridley family of Blagdon were the prominent landowners. It would be possible to find further references to Blyth amongst their estate papers. The 1910 Finance Act introduced a new form of taxation on property in England and Wales. The value of many properties had increased because of the introduction of new public amenities such as road or drainage systems. In such cases the property owner was to be taxed on any profit made as the result of selling that property. The tax was short-lived - it was withdrawn in 1920. By this time the Inland Revenue had assessed all properties in England and Wales. Some of the records relating to this valuation are held at the Public Record Office However, valuation books and maps which were prepared as part of the valuation process are held in County Record Offices. These comprise large scale Ordnance Survey maps and accompanying volumes that record basic details re. each property. The maps and volumes relating to many properties in Northumberland are held by Northumberland Archives Service.