This building plan, produced for Sir Matthew White Ridley, illustrates the Plessy Road Post Office and Postmasters house. The plan was submitted to and approved by the Blyth Urban District Local Authority, 20th September 1893. It shows elevations and cross sections of the building. Before the introduction of building and planning controls in the early 1890s, there were no restrictions on the type, size or quality of housing. The regulation of Building and Planning control was introduced in the early 1890's. The responsibility lay with the relevant Urban / Rural District Council. Local Authorities kept planning registers and plans. These records were eventually passed to the Northumberland Archive Service who hold planning records for most of the Northumberland Local Authorities.