This page from the 1910 Land Valuation book identifies particular properties in Cornhill. Entry 27 relates to the Collingwood Arms Inn situated opposite the church of St Helen. The occupier is identified as Mrs Mary Mclachlan and the owner as John Carnaby Collingwood. The gross annual value is £140 [approximately £5,880 at today's value] while the rateable value of the property is £119 [approximately £4,998 at today's value]. John Carnaby Collingwood, who occupied Cornhill House situated a short distance west of the village, was lord of the manor and principal landowner in Cornhill at the time.
The 1910 Finance Act introduced a new form of taxation on property in England and Wales. The value of many properties had increased because of the introduction of new public amenities such as road or drainage systems. In such cases the property owner was to be taxed on any profit made as the result of selling that property. The tax was short-lived - it was withdrawn in 1920. By this time the Inland Revenue had assessed all properties in England and Wales. Some of the records relating to this valuation are held at the Public Record Office However, valuation books and maps which were prepared as part of the valuation process are held in County Record Offices. These comprise large scale Ordnance Survey maps and accompanying volumes that record basic details re. each property. The maps and volumes relating to many properties in Northumberland are held by Northumberland Archives Service.