Communities > Morpeth > Manuscripts About  Contact

Morpeth - Manuscripts

Morpeth St. Mary's Marriage Register (1775 - 1812)


Search The Site



Ordnance Maps


Printed Material

Census Information

Morpeth St. Mary's Marriage Register - Click for bigger imageThis entry, from the Morpeth parish marriage register, refers to William Johnston and Ann Davison who were married on 27th March 1797 by Licence. When two people are married an entry is recorded in the marriage register. Hardwick's Marriage Act of 1754 standardised the recording of information in marriage registers. The same Act ordered that a couple could only marry after banns were read or a licence had been obtained. Banns were read to the church congregation for three consecutive Sundays prior to the marriage. The reading of the banns gave any person who felt the couple should not marry an opportunity to say so. Those couples who did not want banns to be read could purchase a licence from the Bishop. After their marriage the bride and groom, and two witnesses, signed the marriage register or placed their mark [X] if they could not write. Marriage registers of Morpeth parish are deposited with Northumberland Archives Service.