This page, taken from the 1806 Morpeth Ward Land Tax, shows the value of land within part of the township of Morpeth.
Land Tax was introduced in England and Wales in 1693 and was not abolished until 1963. The early returns list only the landowners but from 1772 names of both owners and tenants were recorded. The Northumberland Quarter Sessions records include returns for the period 1748-1885. The Quarter Sessions were the quarterly meetings of Justices of the Peace who met to hear some criminal cases and to deal with some local administrative issues. Records of the Northumberland Quarter Sessions are held by Northumberland Archives Service.